The BEMC Journal Club (JClub) takes place every third Wednesday of the month from 4-6 pm at Bonhoefferweg 3:
ALL (except the one in Feb) takes place at the Seminarraum.
(1) The Seminarraum of the Neurology Dept — Go through the main doors of the Bonhoefferweg 3 building, walk through the lobby and take the stairs on the left up one floor. Turn right, go through the doorway, and follow the hallway past the ambulant Neurology area to the Seminarroom.
(2) The Konferenzraum is up the small staircase immediately to the right when you enter Bonhoefferweg 3 main entrance.
Active participation requires an intermediate to advanced level of familiarity with epidemiological concepts. To prepare for a JClub, please read the journal article and submit 1-3 thoughtful questions per meeting using the contribution form linked below.
- January 15th
- “Effect heterogeneity and variable selection for standardizing causal effects to a target population”
- Link: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10654-019-00571-w
- February 19th (Konferenzraum)
- “A systematic review shows no performance benefit of machine learning over logistic regression for clinical prediction models”
- Link: https://www.jclinepi.com/article/S0895-4356(18)31081-3/abstract
- March 18th
- “Use of E-values for addressing confounding in observational studies-an empirical assessment of the literature.”
- Link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31930286
- April 15th
- May 20th
- June 17th
- July 15th
- August 19th
- September 16th
- October 21st
- November 18th
- December 16th
For a list of past events, check out our Archive.
Want to participate? No need to register, just show up prepared! Active participation requires an intermediate to advanced level of familiarity with epidemiological concepts. To prepare for a JClub, please read the journal article and submit 1-3 thoughtful questions per meeting using the contribution form linked below.
What to prepare? You will, of course, need to read the paper beforehand. To encourage fruitful discussion, we ask everyone to contribute one or more questions/remarks about the paper via the following link: BEMC JClub Contribution Form. These remarks will be compiled and brought to the journal club (hard copy) to help facilitate discussion.
What will we read? The topics will vary from meeting to meeting. Sometimes we will be inspired by the topic of the BEMC Talk, sometimes we will pick a recent paper from top epidemiology journals, and other times we will pick a topic we like. In short, the program will be determined “as we go” by frequent attendees of the JClub. Do you have a suggestion or request? ==> Contact Bob. The link to the paper will be added to the website at least two weeks in advance.
What is the level? Like the BEMC Talks, the BEMC JClub is not an introductory-level discussion group. All participants are expected to have experience with epidemiological methods (intermediate to advanced level). If you are unsure, please contact Bob Siegerink via email to discuss whether BEMC JClub participation is right for you.
What is the language? English.
How about credits? Get all the details on our ‘For Students’ page (or click here).