The BEMC Journal Club (JClub) takes place every third Wednesday of the month from 4-6 pm in the Seminar Room of the Alte Nervenklinik at the Charité- Campus Mitte (Bonhoefferweg 3, same location as BEMC Talks)
- February 21st
- Chang VW, Langa KM, Weir D, Iwashyna TJ. The obesity paradox and incident cardiovascular disease: A population-based study. PLoS One 2017; 12: e0188636. link to pdf
- March 21st
- Nienke A. de Glas, Mandy Kiderlen, Jan P. Vandenbroucke, Anton J. M. de Craen, Johanneke E. A. Portielje, Cornelis J. H. van de Velde, Gerrit-Jan Liefers, Esther Bastiaannet, Saskia Le Cessie; Performing Survival Analyses in the Presence of Competing Risks: A Clinical Example in Older Breast Cancer Patients, JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Volume 108, Issue 5, 1 May 2016, djv366, https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djv366
- April 11th (note, this one is the 2nd Weds of the month!)
- Fewell Z, Davey Smith G, Sterne JAC. The impact of residual and unmeasured confounding in epidemiologic studies: a simulation study. Am J Epidemiol. 2007 Sep 15;166(6):646-55. https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/166/6/646/89040
- May – No meeting!
- June 20th
- Samama C-M, Rosencher N, Kleine E, Feuring M, Brueckmann M, Clemens A, et al. Observational study of dabigatran etexilate 150mg in patients with moderate renal impairment undergoing elective total hip or knee replacement. Thromb Res. 2016 Jul;143:103–10.
- July 18th
- Hernán MA, Robins JM. Using Big Data to Emulate a Target Trial When a Randomized Trial Is Not Available. Am J Epidemiol. 2016 Apr 15;183(8):758–64.
- August – Summer break!
- September 19th
- Rothman KJ, Greenland S. Planning Study Size Based on Precision Rather Than Power. Epidemiology. 2018 Sep;29(5):559–603.
- October 17th- no JClub. Join us at the IPH Lecture with Maria Glymour, ScD, MS, Professor at UCSF School of Medicine, as she presents “Are we ready for a biomarker-only based diagnostic criterion for research in Alzheimer’s Disease?”. Please register for the event: https://iph-lecture.eventbrite.de
- November 21st- TBA
- December 19th- TBA
Want to participate? No need to register, just show up prepared!
What to prepare? You will, of course, need to read the paper beforehand. To encourage fruitful discussion, we ask everyone to contribute one or more questions/remarks about the paper via the following link: BEMC JClub Contribution Form. These remarks will be compiled and brought to the journal club (hard copy) to help facilitate discussion.
What will we read? The topics will vary from meeting to meeting. Sometimes, we will be inspired by the topic of the BEMC Talk, sometimes we will pick a recent paper from top epidemiology journals, and other times we will just pick a topic we like. In short, the program will be determined “as we go” by frequent attendees of the JClub. Do you have a suggestion or request? ==> Contact Bob. The paper will be announced in advance via this website and the BEMC mailing list at least 2 weeks before the meeting.
What is the level? Like the BEMC Talks, the BEMC JClub is not an introductory-level discussion group. All participants are expected to have experience with epidemiological methods (intermediate to advanced level). If you are unsure, please contact Bob Siegerink via email to discuss whether BEMC JClub participation is right for you.
What is the language? English.
How about credits? BEMC does not offer CME credits. However, it is possible to collect ECTS within the “Promotionsumgebung” of the Charité. To earn 3.5 ECTS, students must actively participate in the BEMC JClub for one year, which means attending at least 7 BEMC JClub meetings and submitting at least 3 thoughtful questions per meeting using the contribution form linked above. Remember: active participation requires an intermediate to advanced level of familiarity with epidemiological concepts.
Once you have submitted contributions for 7 BEMC JClub meetings and want to claim your 3.5 ECTS, simply email Bob Siegerink (email@example.com). In this email, please outline which BEMC JClubs you attended, and attach the Teilnahmebescheinigung form from the Promotionsumgebung with all information filled out (i.e. Veranstaltungsart: BEMC JClub, Titel der Veranstaltung: Title of all 7 papers you discussed, number of teaching units: 20, Anbieter: BEMC/Bob Siegerink).